Monday, June 25, 2007

science and religion - an example from islam

This article in Discover Magazine (via Instapundit) on conflict between Islam and science is fascinating. Don't some people define the relationship between Judaism and science in much the same way? An example:

What about, say, evolutionary biology or Darwinism? I ask. (Evolution is taught in Egyptian schools, although it is banned in Saudi Arabia and Sudan.) “If you are asking if Adam came from a monkey, no,” Badawy responds. “Man did not come from a monkey. If I am religious, if I agree with Islam, then I have to respect all of the ideas of Islam. And one of these ideas is the creation of the human from Adam and Eve. If I am a scientist, I have to believe that.”

But from the point of view of a scientist, is it not just a story? I ask.

He tells me that if I were writing an article saying that Adam and Eve is a big lie, it will not be accepted until I can prove it. “Nobody can just write what he thinks without proof. But we have real proof that the story of Adam as the first man is true.”

“What proof?”


He looks at me with disbelief: “It’s written in the Koran.”

No comments:

Post a Comment